In 1871 a "Methodist misisonary" by the name of Rev. James Gurley, a.k.a. "Father Gurley" was sent out by the Upper Iowa Conference to the Northern Pacific Mission. Father Gurley preached the first "Methodist" sermon in North Dakota in 1871 at Fargo, Pinkham Hall, located at Main Avenue and Fifth Street.
Rev. John Webb followed Father Gurley and he organized the first Methodist Sunday School in what is now North Dakota at Fargo in 1872. With a gift of land and money from the Northern Pacific Railroad, construction began in 1873 on the first church building. On July 1, 1874 First Methodist Episcopal Church of Fargo, Dakota Territory, was officially organized.
Throughout the last 145 years, Fargo First United Methodist Church has been an instrumental part of downtown Fargo. We celebrate our diversity of people and cultures, our emphasis on "making disciples for Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world," and we've focused our ministries on building a foundation of faith within children, encouraging thought provoking conversation among adults and fostering a culture of being mission-minded, as we serve our community, nation and world.